Birth Story: Contractzilla

Birth Stories

April 15, 2019

our home
follow @everyday_mamas
Here is where we share all things related to home and designโ€”written by everyday mamas, just like you.
more categories

I finished my Masters in Occupational Therapy degree on a Friday. We ran errands all weekend, and the following Monday was going to be my first complete, no strings attached day off in six and a half years.

My husband wasn’t feeling well and went to bed early. So to celebrate my day off, I stayed up late, watching a movie until 12:30 a.m. (something I NEVER do). I wasn’t worried about it, because my plan for Monday was to sleep the whole day and the baby wasn’t due for another two weeks.

I fell asleep on my couch, and at 3:00 a.m. I woke up to my water breaking.

We headed straight to the hospital where the nurse hooked me up to a monitor and IV and told me I was 1 cm dilated. My contractions came two in a row, with a two minute break in between.

I hadn’t completely ruled out an epidural, even though my goal was a natural birth. We had to consult the anesthesiologist due to the fact I have scoliosis. He did a consult and decided I would be at a high-risk for severe complications, but he could attempt. I decided that was a no-go. He wished me luck and was on his way.

After 4 hours of labor, there was a shift change and our new nurse came in and my mouth dropped to the floor. Our new nurse happened to be the doula I had wanted to hire!

I had taken an amazing labor and delivery class from her, but I couldn’t hire her during the month of December because she was picking up shifts as a L&D nurse at the hospital. BUT NOW SHE WAS OUR NURSE! I was so incredibly thankful.

At this point, I had been in labor for five and a half hours and was varying my labor positions between the balance ball, walking, and sitting on the couch, but every time I moved, my water would “dump” on the floor and require a lot of clean up. Water was constantly flowing out like a stream, and this was one of my least favorite parts of labor.

My contractions also became more intense. They were coming back-to-back with less than a minute break in between. I realized that singing through my contractions helped. My songs ranged from “Apple Bottom Jeans, Boots with the Fur” to “Lord, I Need You.”

My nurse thought for sure I would be progressing and checked me…2 cm.

Two cm after 5.5 hours of constant contractions. I was devastated. My doctor (who had been a labor and delivery nurse prior to becoming an OB/GYN) came in and told me the first 5 cm are the hardest.

I continued to labor and almost killed my husband as he ordered his lunch and was discussing what kind of dessert he should get during a contraction, and tried to move around more. But he would massage my back and my hips during contractions, and so did my L&D nurse.

After 12.5 hours, I was hysterical and still only at 7 or 8 cm. My L&D nurse encouraged me to do an IV pain med, because she thought I still had 4 more hours of labor (which I didn’t want to do because of the possible side effects for baby) but she said it would help my mental state as it had been a long day of no relief between contractions.

My husband and I had decided that the code word for when I needed something, pain-wise during labor, was “graham cracker.” We agreed I would only say it if I couldn’t do it anymore.

The next set of contractions came and I screamed “GRAHAM CRACKER, GRAHAM CRACKER, GRAHAM CRACKER.” My nurse gave me the IV pain med and I was shortly higher than a kite.

I could feel contractions and was completely calm through them. I had no filter on what I was saying. My husband told the nurses coming in: “she was funny in real life, but not this funny.” I would announce that “Contractzilla” was coming again before a contraction. I relaxed and with a little cervical stretch from my nurse, I was ready to push after a half an hour.

My nurse reminded me that first time moms sometimes have to push for 2 hours. I was so ready to push at this point that it didn’t matter. I would count off my nurse and my husband like counting off a jazz band before they would have to hold my legs. (Yep, I was very high.)

My nurse was surprised at my progress with pushing and told me I was going to have my baby soon (I only had been pushing for 20 minutes). She told me my doctor would be coming in.

To which I said, “Is she going to have the baby because I have been trying all day and I can’t do it.”

One push later, our daughter was born.

We didn’t know the sex of the baby beforehand, and they asked my husband to tell me. He said “It’s a boy!” only to be followed by a chorus of nurses and doctors saying “It’s a girl!”

The NICU team had to be there for the birth due to the IV pain medication being administered less than 2 hours before delivery, but thankfully she didn’t require any extra care. My daughter was placed on my chest right after birth.

My doctor was very surprised how big she was 8 pounds 14 ounces at two weeks early. I wasn’t surprised as I was huge and was reminded how huge I was frequently when I was in public.

Still higher than a kite, I got to order supper! My doctor had to leave right after my delivery to do a C-section. She delivered 6 babies that day, but she came back after and asked to swaddle our daughter and hold her.

Our baby had finally come! I told my doula that she won MVP of the day (still high) and was sent to the mom and baby wing.

I spent my first day off in 6.5 years in labor, but it was totally worth it. (Although I would have been just as happy if she would have come the day after ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Comments +

  1. Mariah H says:

    I love you for sharing Jacey and love your silly little girl ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

  2. Mary says:

    I hated the water gushing part of labor, too!!!


Your consult will start with an email or phone to discuss the scope of the project and provide you with an estimate. We will then send a questionnaire to determine your style and preferences. We charge an hourly-based fee to do all designing for you and provide you with a vision board and curated shopping list so you decide what you want to invest in on your timeline.

let's work together